Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What Does It Mean to Be Devoted?

Sitting here at 3am all packed up and ready to leave for SFO...


Volleyball has been what wakes me up in the morning (and what keeps me up at night) for a while now (mostly because of sore muscles - haha!), but lately, I've been contemplating what it means to really be devoted to something...  I mean really, really devoted - to the point where you would sacrifice just about anything to get what you're after.


So, that is why I'm sharing the dictionary.com definition of devotion below:
*Check out superdevotion (awesome!) and "see love" at the end!  Haha... :)

de·vo·tion

  [dih-voh-shuhn]
noun
1.
profound dedication; consecration.
2.
earnest attachment to a cause, person, etc.
3.
an assignment or appropriation to any purpose, cause, etc.: thedevotion of one's wealth and time to scientific advancement.
4.
Often, devotions. Ecclesiastical religious observance orworship; a form of prayer or worship for special use.
Origin: 
1150–1200; Middle English devocioun  (< Anglo-French ) < Late Latindēvōtiōn-  (stem of dēvōtiō ), equivalent to Latin dēvōt us (seedevote) + -iōn- -ion

pre·de·vo·tion, noun
su·per·de·vo·tion, noun


2. zeal, ardor. See love.


Volleyball is why I strive to be a better person.  When I decided to pursure my dream to play volleyball professionally *with devotion*, so many positive changes in my life were just waiting for me...  As I'm writing this I'm realizing how cheesy this probably sounds to most of you, but I really believe this!  Whatever that thing is for you, just decide today that you'll be devoted to that and see what positive changes are waiting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment